Octavo (165 x 110 mm.), contemporary half calf, marbled paper boards, upper board re-jointed. With engraved titlepage, Advertisement and Contents leaves, 1 general map, 40 county maps, that of Yorkshire folding with repaired binders tear browned, and maps of North and South Wales, 20 page index and advert, all in early outline colour, some very light foxing, otherwise in good condition.
The first edition of this second series of John Cary’s ‘Traveller’s Companion’ was published in 1806. In the interim issues had appeared dated 1810 and 1812. This 1814 example bears the same title with just the date in the imprint altered. All the maps now bear imprints with similar date and there are alterations to the detail on the maps. The list of Market and Borough Towns at the end is expanded and now fills the fifth page. The ensuing list of Routes is also reset with the printers imprint of T. C. Hansard. Chubb 280; Fordham (1925) pp. 39; Smith ‘The Map Collector’ 43 pp. 40-47.
This is the smallest of the three county atlases produced by John Cary and was first published in 1790. It was described by Cary as being an abridgement of the ‘New and Correct Atlas’ of 1787. Provenance: private English collection. Chubb (1927) 279; Fordham (1925) pp. 35-8 & 62-70; Smith ‘The Map Collector’ 43 pp. 40-47.