Folio (370 x 255 mm.), modern half calf, green cloth boards, with original calf gilt title label affixed to upper board, ornate gilt ribbed spine, blind ruled compartments, gilt title, with marbled endpapers. Engraved title page and 5 double page leaves of statistical tables and 49 high quality steel engraved maps, of which 47 as listed on the title with two extra of Scotland and Ireland, all in early wash colour. Cheshire bound after Cumberland, Dorset with repaired centrefold, Lancashire with repaired tear, otherwise in good condition.
The ‘British Atlas’ was first published jointly by John and Charles Walker with Longman, Rees & Co. in 1837, the year Queen Victoria ascended the throne. It proved to be a popular atlas with a number of editions up to 1880. Originally the atlas was issued with 47 maps, those of Scotland and Ireland present here were added at a later date. In 1850, lithographic transfers were made in partnership with William Hobson to create ‘Hobson’s Fox Hunting Atlas’, another atlas which was successful. John and Charles Walker were well known engravers and publishers of the nineteenth century. Amongst other works they contributed to were the engraving of the maps for Christopher and John Greenwood’s ‘Atlas of the Counties of England’ 1834 and Lewis’ ‘Topographical Dictionary of England’ 1831. Provenance: private English collection. Beresiner pp. 232-3; Carroll (1996) 105; refer to Chubb (1927) 476 (this edition not listed).