Octavo, 4 slipcases with flaps (180 x 110 mm.), full contemporary green calf, blind panelled with ornate corners, spines with black calf gilt title labels attached. With 47 steel engraved maps, each dissected and laid on contemporary linen, with green embossed endpapers, each with small paper title and in early outline colour, one box lacking flap tie, light waterstain to one or two maps, otherwise in good condition.
FIRST EDITION. The ‘British Atlas’ was first published jointly with Longman, Rees & Co. on 1 March 1837 and dedicated to their Royal Highnesses the Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria who later that year ascended to the throne. It proved to be a popular atlas with a number of editions up to 1880. At the same time as the atlas was published a rarer format entitled ‘Walker’s County Atlas’ was issued as here. In four calf slipcases, the title is drawn from the spines. The set of maps were issued dissected and laid on linen. The maps would continue to be issued individually, but with their own individual slipcase and not as sets like this. John and Charles Walker were well known engravers and publishers of the nineteenth century. They also produced engraved maps for other works including ‘Ellis’s English Atlas’, Greenwood’s county atlas and ‘Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of England’. A fine example of an atlas in an unusual format. Provenance: public auction. Beresiner (1983) pp. 232-3; Carroll (1996) 105; Chubb (1927) 476; Tooley’s Dictionary (1999-2004); Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).