It is drawn on the large scale of nearly twenty inches to the mile. Many features are illustrated pictorially including Durham cathedral, the castle, town walls, cross, and fountain amongst others. This predates the construction of the Prebends Bridge in 1772-78, which replaced the old foot bridge over the Abby Mills Dam (62 on the plan) which was swept away in a flood in 1771. The map includes turnpikes, paths, mills, and the famous Smiddy Houghs race ground. A sports ground for Durham University to this day, it is believed it was so named after a smithy for the Priory of Durham. There are a total of 100 numbered references keyed to the plan. It is dedicated to the Lord Bishop of Durham and others including Henry Lambton (MP and colliery owner) and John Tempest MP. CBTM 19729; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).
This Plan of the City of Durham is with all the Gratitude