Quarto, 4 volumes (255 x 165 mm. each), contemporary half blue calf, marbled paper boards, ornate blind ruling, ribbed spines with very ornate gilt decoration, each compartment elaborately decorated in gilt, red calf volume and title labels affixed, marbled endpapers. With 47 steel engraved maps comprising 1 large folding general map of England and Wales by Fullarton (not called for and in early outline colour), 42 maps of the English counties (Yorkshire in 3 Ridings), 4 folding of Wales (North East in duplicate in error) and 3 steel engraved plates. Light foxing otherwise in good condition.
In 1833-34 James Bell published ‘A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer’ in parts. Much of its source material was from Lewis’ ‘Topographical Dictionary of England’. In 1839 Lewis managed to obtain an injunction against Bell. The maps engraved for the work were acquired by Archibald Fullarton & Co. who utilised them in the ‘Parliamentary Gazetteer’ with new text, it was also issued in parts. For this issue, there were two differences. Firstly, the previous general map is replaced with one by J. & C. Walker. Secondly the North and South Wales single sheet maps are replaced by four folding sheets. The Fullarton maps each contain a decorative vignette and many bear the addition of newly constructed railways. The maps are filed alphabetically except for Hampshire which is filed under its alternative name Southampton. Provenance: with bookplate of John Hales pasted inside each volume; private English collection. Beresiner (1983) p. 102; Carroll (1996) 99; Chubb (1927) 510.