Edward Stanford (1827-1904) is a name many are familiar with, not least because the business he began still exists. He began his career working with various stationers and went into a short-lived partnership as Saunders & Stanford 1852-53. He began his own business in 1857 which grew rapidly. By 1861 he was employing 41 people and 71 by 1871. He acquired the stock of John Arrowsmith in 1874. Edward Stanford Junior (1856-1917) was working with him by 1881 and on 1 January 1882 he passed control to him. Stanford Ltd were at the Long Acre premised from 1873-82. The pasted mapsellers label of George Philip records an address of 32 Fleet Street at which he operated from 1856-79. The booklet is dated 1927 Tooley’s Dictionary (1999-2004); Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).
The Oarsman's and Angler's Map of the River Thames From its Source to London Bridge.