Clive A. Burden LTD. Rare Maps, Antique Atlases, Books and Decorative Prints

The Mapping of North America

Mr. Philip D. Burden‚Äč
P.O. Box 863,
Chalfont St. Giles, Bucks HP6 9HD,
Tel: +44 (0) 1494 76 33 13

Previous Page Next Page
Although the title to John Harris’ ‘History of Kent’ refers to five parts it was never to be completed. As it was the work was published posthumously. It is known for being one of the most illustrated of the county histories ever published. The main map itself certainly ranks as one of the best. From an early date Kent has attracted large scale maps with Philip Symonson’s large two sheet map dating back to 1596. This map is engraved by Samuel Parker (fl.1715-28) and its borders are decorated with 118 coats of arms of the county’s nobility and gentry. The map itself is heavily based on that of Symonson, including roads and the table of hundreds. There are some differences in spelling and some new nomenclature. It bears a fine inset view of Dover Castle and Towne. This is the same view as that of Wenceslaus Hollar on the Symonson map, only it is reversed. This is an example of the third state of the map.

‘Dr. Harris spent eight years making collections for a History of this County; but he did not live to see the fate of his transcripts, as this first volume was published a few months after his death. What progress he had made towards his second volume, which was never published, is not known: but dying insolvent his papers were dispersed; and though every inquiry has been made after them, yet no knowledge has been gained what is become of them’ (Hasted). Although the book appeared in just the one edition, the map is known in three states. They mark a period of the flowering of the classic English Country house and beautifully illustrate the landscape surrounding each one. The book is also known for the prevalence of birds-eye county views of the seats of the country seats by Kip and Badeslade. Provenance: bookplate of Henry Wood Lewisham pasted inside front cover; bookplate of Arthur Stuart Beazley (1884-1984), member of the Kent Archaeological Society inside cover; Ivan Deverall; private English collection; Clive A. Burden Ltd. Catalogue IX (2012) item 58; private English collection. Burgess (2009) no. 32.iii; ESTC N7830; Upcott (1968) I pp. 354-57; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).


The History of Kent

Printed and sold by D. Midwinter, at the Three Crowns in St Pauls Church-Yard, London, 1719
Folio (405 x 250 mm.), in full contemporary calf, rebacked preserving original spine, gilt panelled boards, gilt panelled ribbed spine, gilt title, light wear to lower spine, gilt edged, marbled endpapers. With engraved portrait (laid down) facing Title, Dedication, Preface, Ode to Kent, list of subscribers and index, pp. (4), iv, iv, ii, iv, 592, xl, illustrated with a large folding engraved map of the county within an ornate heraldic border, with 2 further maps and 39 views (35 double-page) of the noble houses of Kent including a fine panorama of Rochester and Chatham, the main folding map of Kent (565 x 820 mm.) in 2 sheets joined laid on linen and loosely inserted due to the heavy nature of the map, the plates of Broome, Rochester and Deane also laid on linen, otherwise in good condition.
Stock number: 10962
£ 2,950
Send us your name and email address.
We'll add you to our subscriber list and alert you to new catalogues and similar news