This map displays the Ptolemaic British Isles and is the first of a series of European maps. It comes from the Cologne edition of Giovanni Antonio Magini’s ‘Geographiae’, printed by Petrus Keschedt. The original Magini edition had been published in Venice the previous year. This German edition contained a whole new set of engraved plates. There are minor differences between the two, the most notable being the more florid naming of ‘Oceanus Germanicus’. There were further editions of this northern European series in Cologne, 1608 and Arnhem, 1617. Provenance: Doreen Green 1994; private English collection. Meurer (1988) p. 155 MAG. 1, and pp. 155-8 no. 3; The A. E. Nordenskiöld Collection (1979) nos. 224; Phillips (1909-) nos. 404; Shirley (1991) 196; Shirley (2004) T.Ptol 13a.