This map was originally published in Jan Jansson’s ‘Atlas Novus’. When compared to the rival Blaeu county maps those of Jansson always appear more decorative. Jansson was a very successful publisher who continued the business first founded by the great Gerard Mercator and subsequently taken over by the Hondius family. This particular map is of Surrey, the text is taken from Camden’s ‘Britannia’. This example is with French text and was published in 1646. Skelton no. 34; Van der Krogt, P. (Atlantes) 5215:1.