Small quarto (185 x 110 mm.), two volumes, full original marbled calf, gilt panelled, spine with ornate blind ruled compartments, with gilt calf title and volume labels. Volume 1 with engraved general map of England and Wales, engraved title page, engraved dedication, General Contents, preface 8 pp. and Index to the Direct Roads, 340 engraved road strip maps (2 to a page), Direct Roads of a lesser notes paginated 341-403, pp. xxxv, , blank. Volume 2: Engraved title page, 46 [cross] road strip maps (2 to a page), distance tables, various other tables, an index and a page of additions paginated 450-634. Slight wear to the binding but generally in very good condition.
Daniel Paterson (1738-1825) was born at Duddingston, Edinburgh in 1738. He was commissioned in the army in 1765 and served in the Quartermaster General’s department until 1812. He made Assistant Quartermaster General for the last eight years before his retirement. He then became Lieutenant-Governor of Quebec until his death in 1825. According to the ODNB it seems unlikely that he ever went there. ‘Paterson’s Roads’ was first published in 1771 and it proved to be a popular work being published into the nineteenth century. It only contained one general map. In 1785, this rarer profusely illustrated work was published by Carington Bowles (1724-93) running to only five editions. There are two road strips per page, each individually numbered. It is notable for including some of the first road maps of many parts of Scotland. Paterson made no significant cartographic contribution but did however compile useful works containing much information on the roads.
This ‘Second Edition Improved’ of 1807 is in fact the final issue. It was published by Carington Bowles’ successors, Henry Carington Bowles (his son) in partnership with Samuel Carver. In this issue there is a change of format. In this work the direct roads are all consecutive in the first volume. The crossroads are in the second volume. All plates and text pages are numbered consecutively throughout the two volumes. The general map has had the engraved dividing line marking the two volumes erased. New statements above and below the map allude to the location of specific roads. Provenance: private English collection. Carroll (1996) Appendix 15; Fordham (1924) p. 37; Fordham (1925b) ‘Paterson’s Roads’ pp. 344-55; ODNB.