The map is engraved by Samuel John Neele (1758-1824) and his son James Neele (1791-1868). It is engraved in large scale at one inch to the mile and differentiates between woods and plantations, heaths and commons, different types of waterway and roads. Watermills, windmills and coal pits are identified indicating their significance to the local economy. A large vignette of Wells Cathedral occupies the lower left corner and a compass rose to the title sheet. The early 1800s was a time of rapid change in the landscape with the burgeoning industrial revolution. Their surveys utilised the latest system of triangulation adopted by Colonel Mudge and his surveyors for the Ordnance Survey. Indeed, they were in open competition with them. The Greenwood maps were coloured as opposed to the more functional black and white Ordnance Surveys of the period. Provenance: Rennie Sinclair collection. Needell (1995) 50; Rodger (1972) 400; Tooley’s Dictionary; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).