The EARLIEST SURVIVING PLAN OF LONDON in EARLY WASH COLOUR in its fourth state including the newly constructed London Exchange. It was included in the first volume of Braun and Hogenberg’s ‘Civitates Orbis Terrarum’ first published in 1572. Despite being unsigned it is thought to be the work of Frans Hogenberg [c.1538-90]. It draws on detail from an earlier date as it depicts St. Paul’s as it was before the fire which destroyed it in 1561. The partially surviving multi-sheet ‘copper-plate’ map appears to be its origin. That map is ascribed to Anthonis van den Wyngaerde and is dated to 1553-59. It displays London from Lambeth to just beyond the Tower and to Spitalfields in the north. The compact city is already beginning to expand beyond the original walls. The rings used as theatres on the south bank can be seen. This is an example of the usual fourth state with the addition of the privilege in the lower right cartouche. This follows the alteration to the spelling of ‘West mester’ and the insertion of the Royal Exchange founded by Sir Thomas Gresham in 1565 which was opened officially by Queen Elizabeth in 1571. This example is with Latin text on the verso but curiously in its first printed setting which is normally associated with the first state of the plate. Barber (2012) London pp. 32-3; Howgego, J. no. 2; Fordham ‘Town Plans of the British Isles’, in ‘Map Collectors’ Circle’ no. 22 p. 5; Goss, J. (Euro cities) pl. 31; Johannes Keuning ‘The ‘Civitates’ of Braun and Hogenberg’ Imago Mundi 17 pp. 41-4; Koeman B & H 1 no. 1; Van der Krogt 2433.