Octavo (150 x 115 mm.) full contemporary green cloth binding with publisher’s pasted paper title label to upper board, spine with gilt ruling, light wear to top of spine. With general map of England and Wales, letterpress title page, Preface, Contents, List of Mail-Coaches and 42 maps of the counties, North and South Wales as called for, each with leaf of descriptive text, in good condition.
This fine little series of maps was first published by James Wallis (fl.1810-25) c.1812 as Wallis’ New Pocket Edition of the English Counties or Traveller’s Companion. The maps are easily distinguished by the design of the title at the top of the map. They include a wealth of information with a key in the lower margin. A further edition was published c.1814 before they were used in two works by Patrick Martin, as the extremely rare Sportsman’s Almanack and the New Travellers Guide which survives in just the one known example.
By 1819 the work was in the hands of William Lewis (fl.1796-1838) who reissued it as Lewis’s, New Traveller’s Guide. Although undated the Preface was signed 16 October 1819. The atlas was on sale for many years apparently unaltered. In 1835 Lewis re-titled the work as Lewis’s New Traveller’s Guide, and Panorama of England & Wales with a new typographic title page. It was for sale at ‘Ten Shillings and Sixpence’ as stated on the cover title. A further edition was published in 1836, offered here. It is otherwise unaltered with the price being the same. The same Preface dated 1819 and introductory text are reused. The Preface had stated ‘a very large impression of this Edition’, clearly enough to survive 16 years for this issue. Rightly or wrongly the ‘Table of the Charges for a Pair of Post-Horses’ has similarly not been altered. Despite the title calling for 44 maps as originally published by Wallis, the same 43 are present and no more. That of the Isle of Wight was dropped for all editions of this title. All now bear the Lewis imprint although here all are trimmed below before binding, some quite close. Provenance: inscription of Francis Rogers 1836 to title page; private English collection. Carroll (1996) 68; Chubb (1927) 365; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).