For years the author of this map was known only as the Anonymous mapmaker. Then a manuscript was discovered which identified their author. William Smith (1546-1618) was an antiquary and an officer of the College of Arms. He produce just twelve county maps almost certainly engraved by Jodocus Hondius in Amsterdam. This is the first map of the county to give a key to the symbols used. The plates were later acquired by Peter Stent, and then by John Overton in 1665 who issued them in his composite county atlases. Any issue is rare. Hodson 4.3; Skelton 89.