This map of Gloucestershire is by John Bill (fl.1591-d.1630) whose contribution to cartography was limited to two works, this one and the English edition of Abraham Ortelius’ fio atlas entitled ‘Theatre of the World’ co-published with John Norton in 1606. Bill was a noted bookseller who was apprenticed to John Norton in 1592. His talent in Latin soon caught the attention of Sir Thomas Bodley who from about 1599 commissioned him to travel and acquire books on his behalf. He started his own business in 1603 and became the Kings printer in 1604. The maps in the ‘Abridgement of Camden’s Britannia’ are reductions of those by Christopher Saxton and are the earliest of the English counties to have longitude and latitude marked. The Prime Meridian used is the Azores and the engraver is still unknown. Estimates of only 200 copies being printed have been cited. Beresiner (1983) p. 54; Shirley (2004) T.Camd 3a; Skelton (1970) 15; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).