SECOND EDITION. James A. Knipe, geologist, first published a 2-sheet geological map of the British Isles in 1840. This was followed 3 years later by this larger scaled 4-sheet map. This was an influential map with full colour by geological section. It was published under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Albert whose coat of arms are found above the title of the map and which run off the top of the paper as usual. Beneath the title is a list of the ‘Authorities Consulted for the Construction of this Map’ which includes William Smith, Lyell, de La Beche, Mantell, Greenough and Conybeare. Upper right is an inset of the Orkney and Shetland Islands below which may be found nine geological sections across the country. There is an extensive Geological Reference lower left and Explanation. This fine map is produced to a scale of about 12 miles to the inch. Provenance: private English collection.