The famous German firm of cartographic publishers was founded by Johann Baptist Homann in 1702 in Nuremberg. In 1707 he published the “Neuer Atlas” whose success continued for many years. In recognition of his success Homann was elected to the Berlin Academy of Sciences. In 1715 Homann was appointed Geographer to the Emperor. Homann died in 1724 and was succeeded by his son Johann Christoph (1703-30) who died shortly after. This large scale detailed map covers Lower Saxony and extends from Bremen in the north west through Hamburg, Lubeck, Wismar and Rostock to the Island of Rugen. The city of Berlin is displayed just above the title cartouche with Gottingen shown lower left.