On 17 January 1820, John Cary’s premises on the Strand burned down. The fire also destroyed his brother William’s premises next door. The business moved to 86 St. James’s Street shortly thereafter. John was now about 66 years old and chose this moment to retire to the King’s Road in Chelsea and died in 1835 aged 81.
The business was continued by his sons George (1787-1859) and John (1791-1852). It is not known if the plates for the ‘Traveller’s Companion’ were lost in the fire or that they were again worn by overuse. Whichever it was, in 1822 a new series of copper plates was introduced. This series under new management were slightly different. Notable alterations are the removal of John Cary’s name as engraver either side of the title at the top. The plates are now all undated and bear the imprint of G & J Cary below. A subtler change to the plates occurs in the alteration of the place-names on those of Berkshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Durham, Essex, Herts, Kent, Middlesex, Norfolk, Northants, Rutland, Somerset, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Westmoreland, North Wales and South Wales. These are now read from west to east.
This example is the second edition of the new series. The maps are printed on one side only and bound facing each other in pairs. It bears four pages of ‘Works published by John Cary’ bound at the end. The ‘Traveller’s Companion’ is listed for ’17s Half Bound’, a 2s increase since the turn of the century. Chubb (1927) no. 284; Fordham (1925a) pp. 35-9; Smith (1988a); Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).