Quarto (310 x 250 mm.), contemporary half calf marbled paper boards, rebacked preserving original calf title label, blind ruled compartments, later endpapers. Engraved title page, contents leaf with Note to the verso, map of South Britain and 43 county maps on 44 plates (West Riding being on two plates) and both North and South Wales, 47 maps in total, all in early outline colour with main routes coloured brown with wash to wooded areas. 6 pp. ‘Directions for the Junctions of the Roads of England and Wales through all the Counties’, 4 pp. ‘Market and Borough Towns in England and Wales’, 7 pp. ‘List of the Principal Post and Sub-Post Towns in England and Wales’. Some minor pencil notations to Devon and Somerset, that of the East Riding of Yorkshire with minor paper crease, otherwise in fine condition.
John Cary (c.1754-1835) and descendants were possibly the most prolific publishers of cartography around the turn of the eighteenth century. This is the first of three significant English County productions. Cary is noted for the clarity of detail in his maps and was the first to use the Greenwich meridian. This example of Cary’s ‘New and Correct English Atlas’ is from the second edition of 1793. It was however continuously available and in reality only reflects a move to new premises. An innovative feature he introduced was to place a letter at the exit point of a road from the county. This letter would correspond to that found on the neighbouring county. This was an early form of numbering the roads. Provenance: Chubb (1927) 261; Fordham (1925a) p. 23; Hodson (1984-97) 286; Shirley (2004) T.Cary 2c; Smith ‘The Map Collector’ 43 pp. 40-47.