Octavo, 7 volumes (170 x 105 mm. each), each in full contemporary cloth, ornate blind panelled boards, gilt titles to spines, uncut. Typographic titles to each volume, pp. xii, (2), 224; iv, (4), 296; (8), 223; (8), 296; (8), 40, 30, 40, 40, 30, 10, 36, (2), 46, (6); (8), vii, (5), 39, (1), 31, (1), 42, (1), 43, (1), 28, 112; (8), 1-16, 13*-16*, 17-92, 172, with 41 engraved maps, in good condition.
Despite being entitled ‘Camden’s Britannia’, this work bears no relation to William Camden’s famous text. The first identified use of the maps is in the ‘British Atlas’ of 1822 by the publisher John Bumpus. He is believed to be the brother of Thomas Bumpus, founder of the well-known booksellers of the same name, still in operation. John Bumpus drowned himself in the Surrey Canal in 1832 leaving a widow and six children. It is extremely rare with none recorded in institutions.
They next appear in the ‘Family Topographer’ by Samuel Tymms in which the volumes are organised by Circuits; the Home Circuit, Western Circuit, Norfolk Circuit, Oxford Circuit, Midland Circuit, Northern Circuit and Middlesex, London and Westminster. This work with a new publisher in Henry George Bohn appears to have re-issued the text of the ‘Family Topographer’, with the same maps unaltered. The first two volumes lack a date but the remainder bear dates to 1843. Carto-bibliographies cite 1842 for this publication without supplying evidence. The last volume is clearly dated 1843. Although this series of maps does not readily identify the engraver, they are the work of James Cox (fl.1815-41). A distinction of these maps is that the county capital bears the distance from London whereas with all other towns, the distance is from the county capital. Provenance: with inscription of ‘C. H. Welyn White’ added to first free endpaper. Carroll (1996) no. 81; Chubb (1927) 441; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).