This is from an edition of William Camden’s ‘Britannia’ first published in 1586. It was the last to be published in his lifetime and the first to be illustrated with county maps although this had been contemplated since at least 1589. Camden (1551-1623) was an antiquary and historian. An academic by profession he would become the headmaster of Westminster School in 1593. He spent much of his time travelling and collecting material for his highly respected ‘Britannia’. This map of Caermarthen in South Wales, engraved by William Kip, is from the second fully illustrated edition of William Camden’s classic work and the first without text on the verso. An example of the second state with plate number. Chubb 18; Evans (1964) MCC no. 13 p. 6; Shirley BL T.Camd 1e; Skelton 6; Taylor ‘Late Tudor and Early Stuart Geography’ pp. 9- 13.