Quarto (310 x 240 mm.), full contemporary cloth binding, blind panelled, gilt title to upper board. With engraved frontispiece, title page. Contents leaf, pp. (4), 46 and 39 maps on 37 leaves of which 7 are double page, mostly in early wash colour, in good condition.
From the library of JOHN BARTHOLOMEW, mapmakers, engravers and publishers. Adam Black began the publishing and bookselling firm in 1807. With his nephew Charles (1807-54) he formed a partnership in 1834. Adam Black was a prominent politician also becoming MP for Edinburgh 1856-65. In 1827 he acquired the rights to the ‘Encyclopaedia Britannica’ which greatly stimulated his business. In 1840 they published ‘Black’s General Atlas of the World’ which went through many editions.
The county maps were first published in John Lothian’s ‘Atlas of Modern Scotland’, 1826. The first five historical plates were first published in Lothian’s ‘Historical Atlas of Scotland’, 1829. Provenance: John Bartholomew, pencil inscription on first free endpaper; Lyon & Turnbull 16 January 2013 lot 87; private English collection. Chubb 39; Smith, David (1997) ‘A. & C. Black 1807-c.1900’, in IMCoS Journal no 71 pp. 15-21; Tooley’s Dictionary; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).