490 x 580 mm., early wash colour, with small wormhole near centrefold, otherwise in good condition.
The famous German firm of cartographic publishers was founded by Johann Baptist Homann (1663-1724) in 1702 in Nuremberg. In 1707 he published the “Neuer Atlas” whose success continued for many years. In recognition of his success Homann was elected to the Berlin Academy of Sciences. In 1715 Homann was appointed Geographer to the Emperor receiving his Privilege at the same time. Homann died in 1724 and was succeeded by his son of the same name. This particular map is an attractive map of London and its surroundings extending to South Mimms, Rainham, Norwood and New Windsor. The title is displayed in a banner upper left, headed by the Royal Arms of Great Britain. The notable feature of this map is the focus on the Royal buildings in and around London, five of which are selected for vignette views; Windsor Castle; Hampton Court; Kensington Palace; Chelsea Hospital; Greenwich Hospital. Darlington & Howgego (1964) no. 58.