495 x 670 mm., printed on thick paper, folded as issued with light repair at the double fold, otherwise in good condition.
This extremely attractive plan of London was published in the best illustrated edition of John Stow’s ‘A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster’ in 1720. The plan was drawn by John Strype (1643-1737) a cleric who wrote and edited several works. He claims to have spent over 15 years in preparing the book. The first edition of John Stow’s (1525-1605) work was issued in 1598 without maps. The map extends from St. Pancras in the north to Lambeth Palace in the south, Stepney in the east to Buckingham House, Hyde Park and Marylebone in the west. This was issued just prior to the great expansions which occurred to the city in the eighteenth century. The great expanse of new development to the north west around Marylebone was about to occur. The Arms of the City upper left are contained in an ornate cartouche with putti, upper right is a dedication to Sir George Thorald, Lord Mayor of London, from 1719-20. The title cartouche is decorated with the figures of Victory, Apollo and Athena. Adams London no. 25; Darlington & Howgego no. 66; Hyde ‘Ward Maps of the City of London’; Tooley Dictionary.