A small and attractive map of Surrey, it was first published in an atlas issued in thirteen weekly parts by a consortium of nine publishers, commencing in November 1748. No copy of this version survives, and it seems likely that Jefferys and Kitchin took over the project at an early date. The first edition of the ‘Small English Atlas’ was in 1749 with a second edition appearing in 1751. During the issue of the 1751 edition plate numbers were added. This second state example is from the c.1775 edition. The atlas proved popular, running to six editions, with various changes and additions, the last being in 1787. Hodson 211; refer Shirley BL T.Kit 2b.