530 x 640 mm., early wash colour, dissected and laid on contemporary linen, joints refreshed, otherwise in good condition.
This is the FIRST one inch to the mile survey of Rutland. It was surveyed by Lieutenant Andrew Armstrong (1712-84?) and his son Mostyn John Armstrong (fl.1769-91). Andrew Armstrong was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 32nd (Cornwall Light Infantry) Foot in August 1756. From 1763 he described himself as ‘Lieut. on half pay from the 32nd Regt.’ He was a surveyor and by 1766 was working on large scale maps of Northumberland and Durham. Two further large-scale maps were published of Lincolnshire in 1779 and this of Rutland on 24th June 1780.
Both father and son were cartographers although only the son published any atlases. A cutting from the ‘Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury’ from 3 August 1780 records the sale of the map for 10s. 6d. It was available through William Harrod of the High Street in Stamford and although mention was made of subscribers, it is doubtful that there were many. It is today a rare map. It is engraved by John Luffman’s (1751-1821) who had in the previous year also produced the Reverend John Prior’s map of neighbouring Leicestershire. This is some of earliest work. A detailed Explanation illustrates the detail found on the map. Beyond that usually found we note symbols for Seats and noted houses, ruins, and windmills. Also found are Roman roads, military camps and battle sites. The distance in miles from Stamford is given on the road to Uppingham and from London on the road leading north. Hills are clearly identified and the whole presents an easy map on the eye. An inset plan of the town of Oakham is found lower left. The Hundreds are here wash coloured. Deadman & Brooks (2012) pp. 98-9; Harley, Brian (1965) ‘The Re-Mapping of England, 1750-1800’ in ‘Imago Mundi’ 19 p. 63; Kentish (1997) no. 48; Rodger (1972) 381; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).