530 x 640 mm., early outline colour, separately published, printed on thick paper with good margins, in excellent condition.
This is the FIRST one inch to the mile survey of Rutland in its second state issued the following year. It was surveyed by Lieutenant Andrew Armstrong (1712-84?) and his son Mostyn John Armstrong (fl.1769-91). Andrew Armstrong was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 32nd (Cornwall Light Infantry) Foot in August 1756. From 1763 he described himself as ‘Lieut. on half pay from the 32nd Regt.’ He was a surveyor and by 1766 was working on large scale maps of Northumberland and Durham. Two further large-scale maps were published of Lincolnshire in 1779 and this of Rutland on 24th June 1780. Both father and son were cartographers although only the son published any atlases. A cutting from the ‘Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury’ from 3 August 1780 records the sale of the map for 10s. 6d. It was available through William Harrod of the High Street in Stamford and although mention was made of subscribers, it is doubtful that there were many.
The map was acquired by Richard Sayer and John Bennett shortly after. The reason for its sale is unknown. Sayer would in 1787 include the map in the ‘Large English Atlas’ as the existing map first issued in 1756 also included Leicestershire. It appears that only the imprint on the map was altered. This example appears to be separately published, with no sign of having been bound in the atlas. Both states are today rarely seen. It is engraved by John Luffman’s (1751-1821) who had in the previous year also produced the Reverend John Prior’s map of neighbouring Leicestershire. This is some of earliest work. A detailed Explanation illustrates the detail found on the map. Beyond that usually found we note symbols for Seats and noted houses, ruins, and windmills. Also found are Roman roads, military camps and battle sites. The distance in miles from Stamford is given on the road to Uppingham and from London on the road leading north. Hills are clearly identified and the whole presents an easy map on the eye. An inset plan of the town of Oakham is found lower left. The Hundreds are here wash coloured. Deadman & Brooks (2012) pp. 98-9; Harley, Brian (1965) ‘The Re-Mapping of England, 1750-1800’ in ‘Imago Mundi’ 19 p. 63; Hodson (1989) no. 228, p. 141 Atlas Y & Z, p. 145 nos. 26 &29; Rodger (1972) 382; Shirley (2004) T.Bow 3f; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).