Large folio (620 x 390 mm.), contemporary half russia, gilt stamped red calf title label affixed to both boards, with marbled endpapers, blank endpapers, Jeffreys map of Yorkshire in 20 sheets in early outline colour each approximately 600 x 600 mm., including key map as plate V; bound with the Tuke large scale map of the county in 4 sheets, each approximately 600 x 725 mm., each in full early wash colour; bound with Tuke’s map of Holderness 625 x 485 mm. With light offsetting to the Jefferys, some foxing to the Holderness otherwise in very good condition.
A wonderful bound collection of large-scale maps of Yorkshire with a fine provenance including the extremely rare FIRST EDITION OF THE JOHN TUKE map. The first map within is by Thomas Jefferys (1719-71) and is an example of the FIRST EDITION of his great twenty-sheet large-scale map of the county of Yorkshire. It was however issued posthumously as he died 20 November 1771. He was one of the great architects behind the rise of the large-scale mapping of English counties during the middle of the eighteenth century. The survey of Yorkshire was undertaken by John Ainslie (1745-1828), Thomas Donald (fl.1750-c.1797) and Joseph Hodskinson (1735-1812) between 1767 and 1770. It is published on a scale of one inch to the mile and is considered one of Jefferys’ finest productions. It consists of a general map as sheet V, a fine double page engraved title and excellent plans of Sheffield, Leeds, Ripon, Kingston-upon-Hull and Scarborough mostly drawn to the great scale of 132 yards to the inch. It also contains fine views of Middleham Castle and Fountains Abbey engraved by William Walker (1729-93) after Nicholas Thomas Dall. The map illustrates the three Ridings and also the individual Wapontakes with early outline colour.
Bound with the FIRST STATE of the VERY RARE separately published large-scale map of Yorkshire by John Tuke. Little is known of Tuke in the carto-bibliographies other than that he was a land surveyor in York with printed maps issued between 1787 and 1798. Further research identifies the Tuke family as Quaker innovators. Members were behind what became the Rowntree’s Cocoa Works, the Retreat Mental Hospital and three Quaker schools. John Tuke (30 June 1759-19 January 1841) was the fourth born or five children to William Tuke (1732-1822) and Elizabeth Hoyland (1729-60). William Tuke was a tea merchant and grocer in York and a pioneer in work on mental health. Our John Tuke was born in Lincroft, Bishopshill, York and married Sarah Mildred (1762-1829), daughter of Daniel Mildred and Lydia Daniel, on 16 Apr 1783. They had eight children and he died in Bishophill, York.
In 1787 he would publish two maps, one of the region of Holderness (also found here) in Yorkshire, the other being this large four-sheet map of the whole county. Lower right below the beautifully engraved title cartouche of a north east view of York is the imprint of ‘Wm. Darton Engr.. Birchin Lane, London’. It is unclear from this whether he is responsible for just the title cartouche or the whole map. Two insets appear on the map of which that upper right is entitled ‘Reduced Map of the County of York describing the Roman Roads & c. and also the intended Grand Canal betwixt the Rivers Ouse and Humber …’ The Explanation below describes the different typography used to illustrate the Market towns, Parishes and other villages etc. Churches, Country Seats and Parks are also singled out as are the differing types of roads and, rivers, boundaries and the divisions of the Wapontakes. Lower left is an inset plan of Kingston upon Hull surveyed by Anthony Bower (fl.1781-1813+) in 1786. Copac only records four examples in institutions: British Library; Brotherton Library, Leeds (2 examples); Allen Collection, Bodleian Library, Oxford. Rodger in her extensive survey identifies six others. Beautifully wash coloured at the time by Wapontake.
Bound with the rare separately published map of Holderness in the East Riding of Yorkshire. John Tuke’s ‘map of Holderness is of particular significance and, due to its large scale, it is possible to recognise areas which have now been eroded by the sea’ (Rawnsley). Actual distances to the sea from five villages are given but the most interesting part of the map is the identification of several towns lost to the sea noted just offshore. Some are even in the Humber Estuary. Examples are Pensthorpe, Birstall Garth, Owthorne, Sandley Meer and Auburne which amongst others have all since disappeared into the sea. Previous places washed away are also noted such as ‘Hartburn, washed away by the sea’, ‘Site of Hornsea Burton’ and others. This whole area of East Yorkshire has long been eroded by the sea, its most significant capture being Ravenser where King Henry IV landed in 1399. The town at one-point rivalled Grimsby and Hull for importance. This map of Holderness includes Kingston upon Hull, Beverley and Hornsea.
Provenance: Bears the bookplate of the Vernon-Harcourt family, most likely that of Edward Venables-Vernon-Harcourt (1757-1847), Archbishop of York. He was the third son of George Venables-Vernon, 1st Baron Vernon and it was he who inherited the Harcourt estate on the death of his cousin, the last of the Harcourt’s. Collection of Ian Voase Askew (1921-2014), Wellingham Folly, Sussex. Eden (1975); Rawnsley (1970) 27 & 30; Rodgers (1972) 516 & 536, Whitaker 240; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).