The undertaking of the survey is displayed on the map with the use of a triangulation diagram, one of only a handful published to include one. The finished work was engraved by William Faden. A very fine plan of Ipswich upper centre follows the survey of Joseph Pennington in 1778 and is drawn at the excellent scale of 66 yards to an inch. The map indicates all the usual features found in maps of the period including water mills, windmills, and even farms and cottages. The road network is defined by ‘Inclosed’ or open roads with two different mileages recording those from either London a nearby town. The contours of the land are defined by graduated shading. An engraving of the Abbey Gate at Bury St. Edmunds is lower left. The map is dedicated to the Duke of Grafton, Lord Lieutenant of the county.
The work was considered worthy enough to be awarded the Gold Medal from the Society of Arts. However, recent research has shown that he underestimated the size of the county by some 3-4 percent. A second edition was also published by Faden in 1820. Provenance: Rennie Sinclair collection. Eden (1979) H419; Harley (1965); Kentish (2004); Kentish (2012) no. 84; Rodger (1972) 415; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).