Oblong quarto, five volumes (200 x 245 mm. each), full contemporary marbled calf, elaborate gilt panelled boards, spines with ornate gilt compartments, green calf gilt title and volume numbers, marbled endpapers. Each volume with engraved title page, typographic Advertisement and 50 copper engraved plates, each with interleaving descriptive text on the recto and contemporary tissue, 250 plates in total, in excellent condition.
The ‘Copper Plate Magazine’ appears to have been issued approximately monthly with two engraved views in each part and was priced at one shilling. The first plate of Oxford indicates that William and John Walker were the engravers although the title page cites John Walker alone. John was the son of William Walker (1729-93), the latter worked for John Boydell amongst others. They worked in partnership from about 1784. John (fl.1784-1802) was an engraver, etcher and printseller at 16 Rosomons St., Clerkenwell. The volumes are undated but the dates of issue are drawn from the parts. The text leaves include the issue number and cumulative plate number in roman. Each volumes bears an index to the contents, the final volume contains a cumulative index also. Sixteen of the plates are the first after drawings by J. M. W. Turner, Paul Sandby also provided others. The work is regarded for the number of high quality engravings of regional towns and villages. Provenance: Steef Lemmers 1999; private English collection. BBTI; ESTC P172; ODNB (Anthony Walker, uncle) Russell (1979) pp. 33, 39 & 47-8; Upcott xxxiv; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011, William Walker).