James Pigot (d.1843) began as an engraver and printer in Manchester before moving to London. In 1811 he began his own business and concentrated from 1822 on publishing directories of the whole country. In 1826-27 he published one of the Home Counties which was according to the title ’embellished with a new series of Elegant Maps …’ An advert in 1829 indicated that the full series of maps were available bound up separately in an atlas. An analysis of some of the individual counties would indicate a year of issue around 1835. Some of the maps bear the Polling Stations relating to the Reform Act of 1832. The maps were based on those of John Cary published in 1809. They are believed to be the first engraved on steel and each contains attractive vignette scenes of the county, here one of St. Saviours’ Church in Southwark. Beresiner pp. 177-80; Carroll 88; refer Chubb 425.