AN ORIGINAL COPPERPLATE FOR A MAP OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON in a previously UNRECORDED STATE. The Agricultural Revolution of the eighteenth century led to, not unsurprisingly, to an increasing number of books on the subject. In the 1790s William Marshall published a few such works. Between 1791 and 1794 he travelled much of the south west concentrating on the county of Devon. The result was a two-volume work entitled ‘The Rural Economies of the West of England Including Devonshire and Parts of Somersetshire, Dorsetshire and Cornwall’ published in 1796. As the title shows the work was centred on Devon and the accompanying map was similar, including parts of the neighbouring counties. Offered here is the original copperplate used for the map. Henry Mutlow (1756?-1826) was engraver to the King and also a printer. He has an extensive entry in Worms and Baynton-Williams but this work is not listed. The mnao is listed in Batten and Bennett on Devon maps but this state is not recorded. The first words of the title ‘Sketch of …’ are not present in the known issue. Further study identifies other additions namely Lundy Island, ‘Berry Head’ by Torquay along with Seaton and Bear on the coast by ‘Lime’. Cartographic copperplates are exceedingly rare on the market. Provenance: engraved ownership of ‘W Duncan & Jones’ on verso and stamp of ‘B. Whittow & Son, N. 43 Shoe Lane Holborn London’ with crown on top on verso. Batten & Bennett no. 60; Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).