This particular map of South Wales was originally published in Jan Jansson’s ‘Atlas Novus’, 1646. When compared to the rival Blaeu county maps those of Jansson always appear more decorative. Jansson (1588-1664) was a very successful publisher who continued the business first founded by the great Gerard Mercator and subsequently taken over by the Hondius family. Following the death of Jansson’s son-in-law Johannes van Waesberge the partnership of Valk and Schenk acquired the plates and continued to sell them mostly as loose sheet maps. Booth (1977) no 16; Hodson 130; Koeman (1967-70) II 634, p. 488 & III pp. 136-7; Skelton no. 34; Van der Krogt, P. (Atlantes) 5502:1.