A fine double page map of the eastern portion of the Roman Empire by the great French cartographer le Sieur D’Anville. D’Anville’s career spanned much of the eighteenth century as he died in 1782 aged 84. He was renowned for his attention to detail continually updating his work. On his death his huge personal collection of some 9000 maps maps was acquired for the state and resides today in the Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris. Shirley (2004) T.Anv 4a 1.