An attractive view of the town of Oppenheim on the River Rhine south west of Frankfurt. First recorded in 765 in the Lorsch Codex, Oppenheim was occupied by the Spanish from 1620 to 1632. It is now well known as a wine centre. Landskrone Castle which dominates the skyline, was destroyed in 1689. Saint Catherines Church sits below. In the foreground along the river front is a barge crossing the river containing a horse drawn carriage. Matthaus Merian began publishing the ‘Theatrum Europaeum’ in 1633, it was not finished until 1738 by which time 21 volumes had been issued including some 20,000 pages of text, 720 maps, plans, views and other engravings and nearly 700 portraits. Fauser A. 10349.