1320 x 1590 mm., four sheets, each dissected and mounted on linen, edged in green silk, green silk endpapers, housed within a full contemporary calf pull off case, with ornate contemporary blind and gilt panelling, spine with ornate gilt ruled compartments, each with central gilt feature and title lettered in gilt, rubbed, light wear.
FIRST EDITION, ONLY STATE. The two great publishers of the nineteenth century of large-scale county maps were the Greenwood brothers and Andrew Bryant (fl.1822-35). The elephant in the room was the Ordnance Survey which with government backing eventually forced them both out of the business. Bryant followed Greenwood into the business and published his first county survey of Hertfordshire in 1822. There was a total of twelve county surveys published and one of the East Riding of Yorkshire, the last being that of Herefordshire in 1835. This survey of Surrey was carried out in the years 1822 and 1823 and published 1 June 1823, three months before that of the Greenwoods. There was only one edition. The Bryant was issued on a greater scale of one and a half inches to the mile.
A highly regarded detailed map drawn to the scale of one and a half inches to the mile. The Key shows that the detail includes amongst others individual buildings, castles, nursery grounds and gardens, canals, turnpike and mail roads, lanes and bridle ways, and even fox covers. Even the iron railway from Wandsworth is identified. The roads are shown with the distance from London in miles. This example is marked ‘PROOF’ in the upper right corner as noted by Rodger. It is complete with its original slipcase and in good condition. Rodger no. 444; Tooley Dictionary (1999-2004); Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).