An attractive map of the British Isles with inset of the Orkney’s upper right. It is derived from the Willem Blaeu map of 1631. It is adorned with a compass rose, ornate title cartouche, and the royal coat of arms. It was engraved by Matthaus Merian (1593-1650) who was born in Basle, Switzerland. He was one of the finest engravers of the seventeenth century and renowned for his town plans and views. He married the daughter of Theodore de Bry. This map was first published in the ‘Neuwe Archontologia Cosmica’ by Johann Ludwig Gottfried. He is also known by the name Johann Philipp Abelin. The work is a translation of Pierre D’Avity’s ‘Les Etats, Empires et Principautes du Monde’ first published in Paris in 1637. This map and many others were utilised in several works through the rest of the century. Doreen Green 1992; private English collection. Phillips (1909-) 58; Shirley (1991) 489; Shirley (2004) G.Gott 1a no. 48a.