The FIRST EDITION of this map of Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire which was originally published in Jan Jansson’s ‘Atlas Novus’. When compared to the rival Blaeu county maps those of Jansson always appear more decorative. Jansson was a very successful publisher who continued the business first founded by the great Gerard Mercator and subsequently taken over by the Hondius family. This example with Latin text is from the first edition published in 1646, the text is taken from William Camden’s ‘Britannia’. Skelton no. 34; Van der Krogt, P. (Atlantes) 5260:1.