A birds -eye view and plan of Kempten on the Iller River in Allgau, southern Germany. It lies about 70 miles west south west of Munich. The two tallest buildings illustrated are the St. Mang Kirche near the bridge and the Rathaus (town hall). Kempten is referred to by the Greek geographer Strabo in 50 BC, it is believed to be the oldest reference to a German town. The Swedish forces are depicted at the gate as they did during the Thirty Years War. Matthaus Merian began publishing the ‘Theatrum Europaeum’ in 1633, it was not finished until 1738 by which time 21 volumes had been issued including some 20,000 pages of text, 720 maps, plans, views and other engravings and nearly 700 portraits. Fauser A. 4185.