Two copperplate images of the forerunner of LORD’S CRICKET GROUND. ‘The first match ever played at ‘Lord’s Cricket Ground’ came in 1787 when businessman Thomas Lord staged a game between Middlesex and Essex at a newly built ground in what was then known as Dorset Fields – an area of London now known as Dorset Square. Marylebone Cricket Club quickly became the premier Club in the country, and a year later laid down a new Code of Laws which was adopted across the game. MCC still owns the Laws of Cricket today. The Ground proved popular – and profitable for wine-trader Lord, who made the entrance to the Ground his shop. However, by 1809 London was expanding rapidly and rent was on the rise in Dorset Fields. Lord was looking elsewhere and that year he opened a new Ground in the Eyre Estate in St John’s Wood’ (lords.org).
The White Conduit Club was formed c.1782 and existed until 1788. White Conduit House was situated in Islington. Its members went on to re-organise themselves as the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and their third ground was at Lord’s as we know it today. It is so named after the founder of the Club, Thomas Lord, who was himself a bowler. It is believed that Bowles and Carver were the original publishers of this pair of early cricket plates. www.lords.org/history.