David Mortier (1673-c.1728) first published the ‘Britannia Illustrata’ in 1707. The work was expanded over several years last being issued in 1749 by John Bowles. From 1709 Joseph Smith also became a publisher of it. It is without doubt one of the most important topographical productions of Britain in the eighteenth century. Many of the plates were engraved by Johannes Kip (1653 – 1722) initially from the birds-eye views of Leonard Knyff (1650-1722). Later Kip would undertake both drawing and engraving. Kip began his trade working in Amsterdam under William of Orange. Following the Glorious Revolution of 1688 Kip accompanied the Court to London. From Westminster he became a print seller and engraver. The first house here was built by Sir Richard Morrison in 1546 who adapted a former monastery. It shortly after became the home of the Earls of Essex. The widow of the seventh Earl however had to sell it to pay death duties and the house was demolished. Adams (1983) no. 22; Worms and Baynton-Williams.