‘The first separate map of the whole of Wales in its second state, it was compiled in 1568 by Humphrey Llwyd (1527-68) or Lhuyd, a Welshman from Denbigh’ (Roberts). It was first published in the ‘Theatrum Orbis Terrarum’ by Abraham Ortelius in 1573 but according to Karrow was engraved by 1572. A letter from October 1572 written by the diplomat and historian Daniel Rogers and asks Ortelius to send him two copies so that he may augment them ‘with the ancient castles, neglected by Fludd [Lluyd] but noticed by a friend of mine’ (Karrow). It illustrates the three main regions of Venedotia (Gwynedd), Povisia (Powys) and Dehenbartia (Deheubarth). Placenames are provided in Welsh, English and Latin. Provenance: acquired from Doreen Green 1990; private collection. Booth (1977) no. 2; Evans (1964) pp. 4-5; Karrow (1993) 50/1.1; Roberts (1994) ; Van Den Broecke (1996) no. 21.