This survey of the Belvoir hunt was ‘Accurately laid down from a Survey taken in the years 1804. 5. & 6’ by William King (fl.1791-c.1810). It is only the second to be undertaken since that in Saxton’s time. Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire was first built shortly after the Norman conquest in 1066 and has since been rebuilt at least three times. It is the Seat of the Dukes of Rutland, to whom this map is dedicated. The fifth Duke chose the architect James Wyatt to rebuild the castle around 1800. Nearing completion in 1816, it was almost destroyed in a fire. Major art works were lost with an estimated value of £120,000 including pictures by Titian, Rubens, van Dyck and Reynolds. It is situated at the heart of one of the most famous fox-hunting regions of the country. The Belvoir Hunt was established in 1750.
This is the second ‘Corrected’ edition of this rare map first published in 1806, both are rare. It details many of the features of interest to fox hunters, namely the nature of enclosed areas such as gorse, thorns or pasture. Many minor roads and tracks are identified and the variation of magnetic north is recorded. This edition is published by James Wyld & Son. James Wyld (1790-1836) was joined by his son of the same name but died 14 October 1836, the year of this publication. Provenance: Dominic Winter 6 May 2010 lot 31. Baum (1972) p. 24; Carroll (1996) p. xxv; Deadman (2010) p. 136; Eden (1975); Tooley’s Dictionary (1999-2004); Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).