rare maps
Clive A. Burden LTD. Rare Maps, Antique Atlases, Books and Decorative Prints
antique maps

The Mapping of North America

Mr. Philip D. Burden​
P.O. Box 863,
Chalfont St. Giles, Bucks HP6 9HD,
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: +44 (0) 1494 76 33 13
Email: enquiries@caburden.com

NICHOLLS, William

A Complete Historical Map of the Parish of Ealing

London, 1836
525 x 440 mm., early outline colour, separately published, restoration to original folds, small area of loss lower centre with minimal loss of engraved surface, some margin repair, otherwise in good condition.
A very rare detailed map of Ealing extending from Perivale in the north to Brentford and the River Thames in the south. The first plan of Ealing Parish is described on the map as being issued in 1777. It was surveyed and drawn by A. Bassett (fl.1777-1822), a surveyor described on the map as being from Hammersmith. In the lower left corner is added “P.S. This Map being revised in 1822 Alterations Change of Residences & having since taken place was amended to the Year 1836 when the Grand Junction Water Company began extensive Works. And also the Western Rail Way commenced in the Paris as is explain’d”.

Running across the top of the map is the River Brent extending from Brent Farm to the ‘Apperton or Vicarage Bridge’. It extends to Acton in the east and Drayton Green in the west and shows Ealing and Brentford in great detail. All the main property holders are named. A key below outlines the colours used to indicate boundaries, ‘Public Foot Paths’ and water. The map includes the new planned Great Western Railway incorporated on the 31 August 1835. The first section of twenty-two and a half miles from what would become Paddington Station to Maidenhead opened on 4 June 1838. The engraved route bears a legend to the right stating “was begun in this Parish on the 6th Decr. 1836 … Called the Great Western Rail Way”. “Ealing Station” is added by hand. Also added by hand further south is the route of the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway line opened in 1848. Further manuscript notations name “Brentford Station”, “Gt. Western Road” and the “Uxbridge Road”.

The map was originally engraved by William Haydon (fl.1776-1783) whose imprint appears lower right. H. Sumpter of Haymarket whose imprint follows most likely undertook the later revisions. Having examined the only example of the 1777 edition found in the Kings Topographical Collection at the British Library (Maps K.Top.29.9.a.). I can confirm that this is an entirely different plate. The surveying work for these two later issues appears to have been undertaken by William Nichols who is described as being the Assessor and Collector of Taxes for the Parish. It is to be presumed that it is his house identified by Kew Bridge. To the right of the imprints is engraved ‘No.’ followed by ‘100’ in manuscript. If the 1822 revision was printed as would seem likely, no example could be traced. Similarly this 1836 edition appears to be the only known example. Eden (1979); James (1983); Worms & Baynton-Williams (2011).
Stock number: 8354

SOLD

Send us your name and email address.
We'll add you to our subscriber list and alert you to new catalogues and similar news